If there is a crisis in the marriage and a separation is imminent, a tailored and early consultation is very important. In principle, a spouse can only apply for a divorce after having lived apart for a full year. In the separation year, the course for the future of each spouse must be set for the time after the marriage.
In any case, a marriage contract should be checked by an experienced lawyer in family matters to see whether it still fits the current life situation. If the partners do not have a marriage contract, legal advice is even more important. Each of the spouses must know what to do before a separation and how to prepare for the separation and a later divorce.
I recommend the following separation checklist:
- Keep your own documents safe:
- Copies of bank statements, savings accounts, stock portfolios, etc.
- Copies of insurance policies
- Copies of salary statements, balance sheets, revenue-surplus account
- Copies of pension notices, company pension schemes, produce birth certificates, marriage certificates, identity cards